The ICC T20 World Cup 2012 men’s team of the tournament was announced in Colombo, with Sri Lanka’s Mahela Jayawardena named as captain.
There are three players from beaten finalist Sri Lanka and two from champion West Indies while Australia, India, England, New Zealand and Pakistan are also represented in the 12-man squad.
Virat Kohli was the lone Indian cricketer to find a place in the men’s XI. Suresh Raina was named 12th man of the team.
The panel faced a difficult choice in a number of key positions and the relative merits of several players, who ultimately did not make the final 12, were debated at length.
Players who were considered included AB de Villiers and Dale Steyn of South Africa, David Warner of Australia, Tillakaratne Dilshan of Sri Lanka, Kieron Pollard, Dwayne Smith and Sunil Narine of the West Indies.
ICC T20 World Cup 2012 Team Of The Tournament (in batting order):
- Chris Gayle (West Indies)
- Shane Watson (Australia)
- Virat Kohli (India)
- Mahela Jayawardena (Sri Lanka – captain)
- Luke Wright (England)
- Brendon McCullum (New Zealand – wicketkeeper)
- Marlon Samuels (West Indies)
- Lasith Malinga (Sri Lanka)
- Mitchell Starc (Australia)
- Saeed Ajmal (Pakistan)
- Ajantha Mendis (Sri Lanka)
- Suresh Raina (India) (12th Man)